Thursday, April 28, 2011

Season-Ending Sudden-Death Losses Are the WORST

It never occurred to me that I’ve never been on the wrong side of a sudden-death game that was a true live or die situation for the season…until early Wednesday morning when Burrows fired a wrister just above the blocker of Corey Crawford.

It took all of my strength to not turn off the TV, but my desire to watch my city’s hockey team part-take in the coolest occurrence in sports, the end of a playoff series handshakes, won over.

So there I was watching a dirty team with a dirty coach celebrate with a bunch of cheering hosers in the stands. I had been punched in the gut, elbowed in the throat, kicked in the groin, and a Canadian took my lunch money. I was seething.

Minutes before jubilation was coursing through me after Toews scored a shorty from his stomach, and seconds before that I was ready to pack in the season while clinging desperately to hope…the hope that one of the stars of the Blackhawks would finally step-up and tickle the twine. That hope was completely VANquished when the Canucks went on a 2-minute power-play with just over three minutes to play in the Hawks’ season.

Then, somehow, Hossa got the puck and gained the blue-line and the game was tied. I was positive Chicago was destined to win it in OT, but alas, Campoli’s attempt to clear the puck was snatched out of the air and the game was over. It was the right play, it was just the wrong bounce. The roller-coaster came to a dead-stop just as the thrill of Blackhawks playoff hockey was just hitting its stride.

I couldn’t sleep for two hours after the post-game show.

Campoli played well in the series and since he came to Chicago from Ottawa. I hope the unfortunate turnover in his own zone isn’t all that he’s remembered for in 2011.

What I will remember is Crawford’s redonkeylous effort throughout the series. I can’t remember one soft goal. There weren’t many goals allowed that he could do anything about. He stood on his proverbial head in Game 7. You can’t ask for much more from a rookie. Stan Bowman has already said that the top offseason priority is to sign Crow to a long-term deal.

Fans are looking for someone to blame. Seabrook played like crap. So did Campbell, Keith, Kane, and hell, Johnson was a team-worst -2 on the ice. As good a job GM Stan Bowman did with the Steve Rosenbloom coined A-CAP-alypse and the roster turnover, he dropped the ball, or puck, by not signing a big, stay-at-home defensemen when he had the chance. He put too many quick, agile, scrambly defensemen on the roster.

I have no doubts that it’ll be addressed and the Blackhawks will be ready for another run at Lord Stanley’s Cup in 2012.


Listen to the Chicago Sports Fix radio show with Josh Catlow and me Rob Zielinski this and every Friday evening from 6 to 8pm only on chicagolandsportsradio.com

PREACH

No comments:

Post a Comment